Friday, November 7, 2008

Oh Joe

Joe Purdy has recently become one of my favorite artists. Joe's song "In The City" was introduced to me by my sister-in-law. In the true vein of folk and acoustic musicians like Bob Dylan, Amos Lee, Shawn Mullins, John Mayer & Jack Johnson, Purdy's relaxing chords and melodies will not disappoint. Unlike the previous artists, Purdy's voice reveals an old soul. When you see his picture, you'll be surprised at how young and unassuming he is. His husky voice is tentative at times and sweetly melodic at others. His songs have been featured on Grey's Anatomy, Lost, House and most recently featured on the Secret Life of Bees soundtrack.

What I am especially impressed about Joe is that his records are self-released and contain the quintessential purity of folk: true storytelling. He tells a story with enough reprise for you to tell it yourself someday. The simple gentleness of his voice, his stories through music and his easily memorable melodies will create in you an instant fan. His new album "Last Clock on the Wall" is going to be released soon and you can better believe that I'll be at the next concert coming my way. Julie Blue, my first Joe Purdy CD purchase was written and recorded in less than a week's time as the artist enjoyed some musical meditation on a tiny river island in upstate New York. Although I've owned the album for only weeks, I've memorized each song's lyrics and it already feels like an old favorite, a lot like Joe.

Check him out at www.joepurdy.com

1 comment:

Elisa said...

Oh good! I'm glad to hear that you like Joe Purdy! :) Isn't he amazing?! When things slow down I'm going to try to send you another mixed CD of some other artists you should check out. Talk to you later!