Thursday, October 9, 2008

ode to a long standing favorite


I cannot believe that I started a music Closer-The Best of Sarah <span class=blog and didn't mention that my all time favorite artist, Sarah McLachlan, is releasing her first ever "greatest hits."  I just happened to be browsing the websites of my favorite artists and noticed that in one week (one week ago) her new cd would be released.  I immediately jumped on and pre-ordered the Closer: Deluxe cd which has handpicked songs from her studio albums and a second cd of singles, duets and previously unreleased stuff plus two new songs.  While in some ways I don't like to give in to the "greatest hits" albums, I cannot pass it up since it does have new material (a marketing scheme) and I am a die hard fan.  

I started listening to Sarah McLachlan just before her 1993 breakthrough record Fumbling Towards Ecstasy was released.  Her music got me through a lot of emotional times all throughout high school as I listened to hours of her amazing voice through headphones laying in my bed.  After the album Surfacing was released in 1997, I fell deeper in love with her music (and my now husband, Abe).  I had just moved to Eugene Oregon and as friends we lay in the bed out in the living room letting the echoing chords and her rich voice fill the almost empty room.

With eager anticipation, I know that this new album will contain treasures yet untold.  I'm sure that Closer will not be a disappointment for any true fan.  Look forward to a true review once I've heard all the material!

No comments: