Thursday, October 9, 2008

Some of my faves right now.....

First of all - I think that this is a great idea Vale! An opportunity for everyone to share their favorite music and artists. As an avid music lover I'm always excited at sharing what I'm listening to. So - here are just a few of my current favorites......





Yael Naim - I will admit that I bought this album primarily because of the Macbook Air commercial featuring her song"New Soul." However I fell in love with this French artist and her CD full of tracks in Hebrew, French and English. Naim has a very distinct singing voice, specializing in sultry jazz numbers often with a folksy lilt. The song of the album is of course "New Soul", and there's an unusual and unexpected interpretation of "Toxic", originally sung by Britney Spears. My other favorite song on the album is "Paris" which is sung in Hebrew and French, and when translated is an ode to her favorite city. In addition, check out "Far Far" featuring one of my favorite lines, "How can you stay outside? / There's a beautiful mess inside."





Missy Higgins - while I do love her album On a Clear Night, I may have to give the edge to her first CD, The Sound of White. Higgins released the The Sound Of White after a trip backpacking across Europe. Wavering between a young Aimee Man and a direct Natalie Merchant, tthis Aussie is only recently getting a lot of buzz and deservedly so. The album starts out with a bang in the song All For Believing." -It's the kind of song one would listen to in order to stay in a relationship. I continually find myself singing "Scar" which is slightly more up-tempo yet continues the ongoing theme of a tumultuous relationship. I find her voice to be haunting, raw and emotional - all the qualities that make an artist completely unforgettable.





Mason Jennings - quite possibly one of the best kept secrets in pop music in my opinion. I've loved Mason for a long time now primarily because he continues to write clever, thoughtful and succinct lyrics, and is not afraid to take risks and experiment with new styles. This is his sixth album and was released through Jack Johnson's Brushfire records because Johnson himself personally recruited him for the label. According to Jennings, the songs on the new album can be interpreted about an individual or the longing for God. If you get a chance and are just now learning about Jennings let this be the first album to start with. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Vale said...

I am very excited to listen to the Mason Jennings album (not to mention he has a great name!). I fell in love with Missy Higgins after listening to the mix you sent me. In fact, you are one of the main reasons I decided to start this blog! I love sharing my favorite music with my favorite people (especially when they love my favorite music too). I have listened to numerous songs of hers on Pandora and love them all. Just a last note, she is coming to the Portland/Seattle area in November. You should try to go see her!